The effort by these children had a dramatic publicity value - the governor's wife joined the children on the picket line. Before long the sweatshop owners in the Allentown area agreed to raise wages by 10% and cut back on mandatory hours.
A forum created to share my thoughts on books I've read, movies I've watched, music I love and snippets of information I've compiled on current and historic events that shaped America and the world.....and some extra stuff just for fun!
Translate
Saturday, April 19, 2014
History in Pictures- On April 19, 1933, 400 "Baby Strikers", ranging from 14 to 16 years of age, went to see Governor Gifford Pinchot in Harrisburg to explain the plight of their lives in sweatshops.
The effort by these children had a dramatic publicity value - the governor's wife joined the children on the picket line. Before long the sweatshop owners in the Allentown area agreed to raise wages by 10% and cut back on mandatory hours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment